Comprehensive aged care
information for all Australians

Respite Care

Respite Care

Short term care on a planned or emergency basis, to give carers and care recipients a break from their schedules.

What is respite care?

It is short-term care that may be on a planned or emergency basis and is designed to give carers or care recipients a break from their typical schedules.

How do I access respite care?

To access formal respite care, contact My Aged Care to discuss an assessment from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or the Regional Assessment Service (RAS).

Can I access respite care in the case of an emergency?

When there is a need for emergency respite care, you can call the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre during business hours on 1800 052 222 or after hours on 1800 059 059.

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible for respite care, usually an assessment will be needed to determine your eligibility for respite care.

In order to determine your eligibility for respite care (in an aged care home) you will need to be assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). You can arrange this by contacting My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. For further information go to www.myagedcare.gov.au.

The Assessment Process

1. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to arrange an assessment

Either a local assessor from a Regional Assessment Service or the Aged Care Assessment Team will contact you to arrange an appointment.

For the assessment, you might like to have your Medicare card, any referrals from your G.P., & your G.P. contact details.

It is always a good idea to have a family member or friend to support you during your assessment, and you can give the assessor permission to talk with your support people.

Be sure to have a list of items/ issues that you would like to discuss during your assessment.

2. Receive letter of approval for respite care

If you have an ACAT assessment, and the assessment determines that you are eligible for support services including respite care, then you will receive a letter of approval from ACAT.

Sometimes there is a waiting period and it is important that if you have any concerns about the waiting time, that you discuss this with the assessor at the time of your meeting.

If you disagree with your ACAT assessment, you can write to the Secretary of the Australian Government Department of Health within 28 days, outlining your concerns regarding the outcome of your assessment letter.

How Much Will It Cost

Respite care will have costs involved. These costs might be subsidised through the Commonwealth government.

You can find out the costs involved to access respite care by contacting the organisation/ provider that will be delivering the care.

For more information about respite care and associated costs, go to www.myagedcare.gov.au or phone 1800 200 422.


Find A Service Provider

If your circumstances are not an emergency situation then you will be able to explore the service providers that best meet your needs by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visiting their website at www.myagedcare.gov.au.

You can contact service providers directly if you are seeking community based respite care or non-residential respite care.

Once you have received approval you are able to get into contact with the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre by phoning 1800 052 222, in order to access residential respite care services.

Keep browsing other services below or for your personal aged care summary head here.