Comprehensive aged care
information for all Australians

Entry Level Support At Home

Commonwealth Home Support

What is the Commonwealth Home Support Programme?

It is the most basic, entry level home help program for the ageing, who need a small amount of help at home to continue to live independently.

Am I Eligible?

To determine your eligibility for the program you will need to be assessed by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS). You can arrange an assessment by going to their website at www.myagedcare.gov.au.

Here are some basic eligibility criteria to give you an idea if the service is right for you:

You may be eligible for the Commonwealth Home support programme (CHSP) if you are:

  • 65 years or older
    • 50 years or older if you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
    • 50 years or older if you are a low-income earner, homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • Still living at home
  • Require help at home in order to continue living independently

The Assessment Process

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to arrange an assessment or go to their website at www.myagedcare.gov.au

A local assessor from a Regional Assessment Service will contact you to arrange a meeting time to conduct a home support assessment and put together a support plan.

Waiting in the national queue for a home care package

What you might need for the assessment:

  • Medicare card
  • Your G.P. contact details
  • Identification documents (Driver’s licence, passport or 18+ card)
  • Pensioner concession card if you have one.
  • A support person (e.g. family member) to support you during your assessment.
  • A list of items/ issues that you would like to discuss during your assessment.

Remember that you have rights. Be sure to read through your rights prior to your assessment.

What Services Can I Receive?

The Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) is an entry level program that offers support to help individuals to continue living independently. Support services might include the following:



Speech Pathology

Occupational Therapy


Meals at a community centre

Help with shopping

Help with preparing meals

Assistance with cooking

Meal delivery to the home

Domestic Assistance

Personal Care

Home Maintenance

Home modifications

Nursing care

Social Support (community based)


Care for you while your carer has a break

For further information go to www.myagedcare.gov.au OR freecall on 1800 200 422.

How much will it cost?


The Commonwealth Home Support Programme is subsidised by the Australian Government, however there are small costs involved in accessing the services. You will need to discuss these fees with the service provider that you receive the services from.

How Do I Arrange Services?


Once you have been approved for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme and you have developed a home support plan with the assessor, you can do one of the following:

  • Ask the assessor to arrange for a referral for service to be sent to a provider or
  • Alternatively you can ask the assessor for your referral codes, and pass these codes onto the service provider that you choose to receive services from after considering which provider is best for you.