Comprehensive aged care
information for all Australians

Rights – Home Care

Laws to protect you

You have the same rights no matter which Service Provider you choose. All service providers must meet certain standards. These include:

  • Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities for Home Care
  • The Home Care Standards

 Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities

The Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities for Home Care outlines the rights and responsibilities of your service provider, yourself and others involved in your care. It will be included in your home care agreement and your service provider can also give you a copy. It is also available through the Department of Health at https://agedcare.health.gov.au. 

Home Care Standards

The home care standards are there to ensure that service providers respect your privacy, dignity, and confidentiality, handle your concerns in a fair manner and speak openly with you about the services that you are receiving, and any changes that may occur to these services. These standards ensure that you have the right to an advocate to help you handle any concerns also.

Home Care Agreement

Once you decide on a service provider, they will ask you to sign a “Home care agreement”. This is the legally binding document that you must sign in order to enter into a home care package with a service provider. It will contain all necessary information including fees, such as exit fees.
It is highly recommended that you read the home care agreement prior to signing it, and that you seek legal advice as well as discuss the agreement with your friends and family.

Resolving Issues

If you or your family are unhappy with services that you are receiving in your home, it is suggested that you initially try to solve any issues directly with the service provider. If you are unable to come to a resolution then there are organisations available who specifically handle complaints related to aged care services. These include but are not limited to the Aged care complaints commissioner and the Older Persons Advocacy Network. You can contact them on 1800 700 600 or go to https://www.opan.com.au.

Keep browsing other services below or for your free personal aged care summary head here.