Comprehensive aged care
information for all Australians

Where Do I Start?

If you are thinking about aged care or support for yourself or a loved one, there are a few options to help you to get started:

  • Talk with your family about your concerns and your needs.
  • Maybe some family members or friends are able to help you with some tasks such as grocery shopping or mowing the lawn.
  • Often you might be in need of additional support beyond family and friends.
going on an outing with a loved one with damentia

Think about making a list of your health concerns and areas that you feel you are needing additional support.

Really think about what you are wanting to achieve from receiving support (your goals and needs).

Ask your G.P. for help

  • Make an appointment with your G.P. and ask them if they can help you with your concerns that you have noted.
  • Doctors are a great point of contact as they usually have your health history and can make a referral on your behalf to My Aged Care.

Contact My Aged Care

  • You can contact My Aged Care yourself to arrange an assessment from the Aged Care Assessment Team.
  • If you would like a family member or support person to be able to discuss your information with My Aged Care, it is necessary for you to give authorisation to My Aged Care for your support person to speak with them.
  • After submitting a referral over the phone or online to My Aged Care, someone will contact you to arrange an assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

More About My Aged Care

Visit My Aged Care at www.myagedcare.gov.au or freecall on 1800 200 422.

  • My Aged Care is an Australian government service that helps ageing Australians and their families to access support and information regarding aged care.
  • My Aged Care is the entry point to the aged care system in Australia, where assessments are arranged and information is provided to access aged care services.

Australian Government Funding For Services

Have an assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

  • To receive financial support for aged care services from the Australian Government, you can arrange an assessment with the Aged care assessment team (ACAT) to determine your eligibility for aged care services.
  • This is arranged through My Aged Care.
  • You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or by visiting www.myagedcare.gov.au.