Comprehensive aged care
information for all Australians

How Do I Find A Service Provider

Residential Aged Care

Moving into residential aged care is not the end of your life

There are a variety of aged care homes out there, and the key is to access the home that best suits you.

Consider what the accommodation is like and how much it will cost. Consider what type of care they offer and whether they can meet your needs now and into the future.

You can search aged care home providers at www.myagedcare.gov.au.

Once you have found a few homes that you would like to visit, give them a call and arrange a meeting time. Remember that you can always have a list of questions to ask them and you are able to have your support people with you at the meeting/ visit.

Home Care Packages

You can search for service providers at www.myagedcare.gov.au or by phoning 1800 200 422.

Speak with a Home Care Package Manager

  • When you contact a provider, you will be directed to a Home Care Package Manager or Coordinator.
  • You can arrange a meeting with the package manager to discuss a care plan and take the opportunity to explore what their fees, terms and conditions are, and what services you are able to receive.

Shop around for a service provider

  • You might like to meet with more than one service provider to discuss your options.
  • Different providers may offer different services that better suit your needs, and the fees may be different too.

Short Term Restorative Care

To access the Short-term restorative care programme, initially an assessment from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) needs to occur. You can enquire about an assessment through My Aged Care.

Accessing short-term restorative care (STRC) for older Australians involves interventions by a team of three health professionals.
The programme aims to prevent premature entry into higher level services, including residential aged care and home care packages.
You can search for a short term restorative care provider on the My Aged Care website at www.myagedcare.gov.au or by calling 1800 200 422.

Sometimes short term restorative care may not be available in your area or there might be a wait list. In some instances when you require services through this program but can’t access them, there is the option to receive services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme while you are on the waitlist.

Respite Care

If your circumstances are not an emergency situation then you will be able to explore the service providers that best meet your needs by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visiting their website at www.myagedcare.gov.au.

Once you have received approval you are able to get into contact with the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre by phoning 1800 052 222, in order to access residential respite care services.